- Home Alone was released closer to the moon landing than it was to today.
- Strawberries aren’t berries but a banana is.
- So are avocados and watermelon.
- Cookie Monster’s real name is Sid.
- The man who voiced Fry on Futurama, Billy West, also voiced Doug on Doug.
- The YKK on your zipper stands for “Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha.”
- Cleopatra lived closer to the invention of the iPhone than she did to the building of the Great Pyramid.
- New York City is further south than Rome, Italy.
- There is 10 times more bacteria in your body than actual body cells.
- And 90% of the cells that make us up of aren’t human but mostly fungi and bacteria.
- Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
- Not once in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it mention that he’s an egg.
- The last time the Cubs won the world series, Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, and New Mexico were not yet states.
- The toy Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- Turtles can breathe out of their butts.
- And while we’re at it, Mr. Clean’s full name is Veritably Clean.
- It rains diamonds on Saturn and Jupiter.
- Vending machines are twice as likely to kill you than a shark is.
- A thousand seconds is about 16 minutes.
- An octopus has three hearts.
- One in every 5,000 babies is born with a condition known as “imperforate anus.” This means the baby is born without an anus and has to have one created manually in the hospital.
- Betty White is actually older than sliced bread.
- There are more fake flamingos in the world than real flamingos.
- And women did not have the right to vote in the United States.
- Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was at the beginning of The Fresh Prince.
- The name Jessica was created by Shakespeare in the play Merchant of Venice.
- Hippo milk is pink.
- Nintendo was founded as a trading card company back in 1889.
- The show the The Wonder Years aired from 1988–1993 and covered the years 1968–1973. Today, in 2014, if one were to make a similar show, it would cover the years 1994–1999.
- The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.
- Peanuts are not nuts. They grow in the ground, so they are legumes.
- Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most well documented events in history.
- The last time the Chicago Cubs won the baseball World Series, the Ottoman Empire still existed.
- Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.
- France was still executing people with a guillotine when the first Star Wars film came out.
- Duck Hunt is a two-player game. Player two controls the ducks.
- If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds just like Pac-Man.
- North Korea and Finland are separated by one country.
- The difference in time between when Tyrannosaurus Rex and Stegosaurus lived is greater than the difference in time between Tyrannosaurus Rex and now.
- The pyramids were as old to the Romans as the Romans are to us.
- Maine is the closest U.S. state to Africa.
- Alaska is simultaneously the most northern, the most western, and the most eastern state in the U.S.
- Russia has a larger surface area than Pluto.
- Pluto never made a full orbit around the sun from the time it was discovered to when it was declassified as a planet.
- The heart of a blue whale is so big a human can swim through the arteries.
- A million seconds is about 11 days.
- There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.
- And there’s enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America in one foot of water.
- The probability of you drinking a glass of water that contains a molecule of water that also passed through a dinosaur is almost 100%.
- At the time the current oldest person on Earth was born, there was a completely different set of human beings on the planet.
- And at the time you were born, you were briefly the youngest person in the entire world.
- A billion seconds is about 32 years.
- And one trillion seconds is about 32,000 years. A trillion is a lot.
- Armadillos nearly always give birth to identical quadruplets.
- But the good news is: Honey never spoils. You can eat 32,000-year-old honey.
- Mammoths went extinct 1,000 years after the Egyptians finished building the Great Pyramid.
- There are more public libraries than McDonald’s in the U.S.
- Carrots were originally purple.
- For every human on Earth there are approximately 1.6 million ants. The total weight of all those ants is approximately the same as the total weight of all the humans on Earth.
- Mario hits blocks with his hand, not his head.
- John Tyler, the 10th president of the United States, has a grandson who’s alive today.
- The CEO of Food For The Poor is named Robin Mahfood.
- You can’t hum while holding your nose.
- If a piece of paper were folded 42 times, it would reach to the moon.
- If you dug a hole to the center of the Earth and dropped a book down, it would take 42 minutes to reach the bottom.
- Every two minutes, we take more pictures than all of humanity in the 19th century.
- The dot over an “i” is called a “tittle.”
- Woody from Toy Story has a full name too — it’s Woody Pride.
- There are more atoms in a glass of water than glasses of water in all the oceans on Earth.
- If you shrunk the sun down to the size of a white blood cell and shrunk the Milky Way Galaxy down using the same scale, it would be the size of the continental United States.
- The average chocolate bar has 8 insects’ legs in it.
- The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
- A rhino horn is made of compacted hair.
- A polar bear’s skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.
- A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
- Elephants are the only animals that can’t jump.
- Cat’s urine glows under a black light.
- A male emperor moth can smell a female emperor moth up to 7 miles away.
- A duck’s quack doesn’t echo.
- A giraffe can go without water longer than a camel can.
- Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
- In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
- The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
- It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked ever7 hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.
- You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath.
- The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds, that makes the catfish rank No. 1 for animal having the most taste buds.
- A cockroach will live nine days without its head, before it starves to death.
- Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- You consume 1/10 of a calorie every time you lick a stamp.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- Babies are born without knee caps. They don’t appear until the child reaches 2 6 years of age.
- Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
- If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
- The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
- A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans.
- More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.
- A ‘jiffy’ is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
On this entire list… why is it so many people have no problem accepting 99 of them as truth, but they struggle with the historical truth of #33?
Think about it.
By the way, it’s true. Want more answers? Check out Lee Stroebel’s book “The Case for Easter” on Amazon.com. Click HERE to get a copy!
How bad have you had it?
How well are you doing now?
Have you told the truth yet?
Either way, the only person standing between you and actually
being better, doing better, owning better in the future…
So be honest.
Yep, I’ve been a liar. Still catch myself struggling from time to time with being totally honest. It’s usually not “big whopper lies” now, although I’ve had my share of those in the past. Now, it’s different kinds of battles I fight with truth. Maybe I’m not alone?
Spinner– Masterfully turning the facts to spin them to make ones self look best in light of what people think is reality…
Cherry Picker- Only sharing bits and pieces, and strategically leaving out parts that aren’t “me friendly”…
Mime- In War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, the narrator states “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing”… The result is the same when men fail to speak the truth, and in the end, honesty and truth are the casualties…
Magician- The Master of distraction moves peoples’ attention away from truth to stuff that doesn’t matter. The tact is to intentionally pull them away from truth, many times by turning others against each other, or creating competing crises. And when they are successful, the truth seems to vanish…
Crusader- This strategy takes a moral high ground from an offensive posture. “How dare you question my honesty, my truth?”, when of course the person being challenged knows they are defending a lie…
If your life & reputation depended on you being honest with me here and now, what which of these tactics is your weak spot?
So I’m trying… I’m working on giving up my spinning, cherry picking, miming, magical crusader ways. I’m hoping you will too.
I don’t just want to be known as an honest man. I want to be one. Oh, and I don’t want my pants on fire either.